Thursday, April 7, 2011

Provincial Court Reflection

After visiting the Provincial Court describe your three biggest "ah ha" moments.  What do you want to learn more about?

12 comments:

  1. -When I found out the the accused were extremely close to us
    - When I saw how involved the judges were in court, not like in the movies where they say nothing at all.
    - When I noticed that there was absolutely no jury (which I learned in class) I realized that the entire decision of what happens to the accused is in the hands of the judge. The lawyers are just there to present the case and influenced the judge.

    I want to learn more about the cases and the statistics of the courts. For example: "DO judges seem to be harsher after a long period of time being in court?" "are there more cases in this generation then there was in others."
    -Katherine Lemay

    ReplyDelete
  2. After visiting the Provincial Court three biggest "ah ha" moments for me included seeing the actual pace of the courts, seeing the accused people around us and not behind bars, and also being able to see lawyers object to other lawyers.

    I want to learn more about the series of things that lawyers have to go through before the trial itself. I also want to learn more about sentences

    ReplyDelete
  3. my "ah ha" moment during provincial court was when I realized that courts are much different then it is portrayed on tv. It is a lot less intense and at times extremely quick or slow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My biggest "ah ha" moments were realizing that anybody could be a criminal, that court isn't as fast-passed or as interesting as t.v. shows it to be and that technology has made it possible for the criminal to video call out of their cell rather than being face to face with a judge. I would like to learn more about sentencing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My three favorite moments of being in the court house were when we were in the same room with the accused, we got to actually see real life trials, and getting to choose the cases we wanted to see. I would like to know more about why the law system in Canada is so soft.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first case that I heard was a Robbery charge. The accused was a 20 year old, who had a promising future and no previous convictions. The judge talked about all those things, and taking them into consideration, she gave him a really light sentence. She was also really friendly. I was surprised how much they take the accused personal life into consideration. Immediately after that, the old guy sitting behind us walked up and sat in the accused chair. I was really surprised that he was just allowed to sit behind us, especially since he had 28 prior convictions, and was being charged with a violent crime. I can’t really think of another thing, but I really enjoyed the whole experience. One thing I want to learn more about is sentencing, and the judge’s guidelines for that.

    (KATHLEEN PARKER)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My three ah ha moments at the provincial court were:
    1.The accused sitting behind us and suddenly standing up and freaking us out
    2.The cute guys accused of murder in a brothel
    3.My food being thrown away in the courtroom
    I would like to learn more about how lawyers can deal with clients who have problems with drugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 3 biggest "ah ha" moments for me in the provincial court house=
    The environment and the whole setting in a trial is quiet calm.
    How short a bail trial can be.
    The delicious cafeteria food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three biggest "ah haaah you know what it is" moments are;

    -People that show up in court, can be anyone.
    -The people that are the accused can walk along the hallways with us.
    -Anyone can come in and watch

    It would've been nice to see the beginning of the trials, cause when i watched it was already in session and was pretty unclear to what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. my biggest "ah ha" moments of being in court was realizing that courts are portrayed much more differently on television than in real life, as well as realizing that i was in the same presence as the accused.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My three “ah ha” moments while visiting provincial court:
    -The first trial we went to was the murder trial on the fifth floor. When the witness was telling what happened i felt I was watching CSI or Criminal Minds.
    -The second one was when I was walking and I see the accused just walking around.
    –The last one was when we went to the assault case. The accused was defending himself and cross examining the witness. He was trying to open up past events about the witness but the judge didn’t allow it because he cannot see the connection of it on the case.
    I want to learn more about sentencing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1) There's a cafeteria there!
    2) The bail trials going on are on going and are so busy! One right after another.
    3) Some lawyers are such frauds, you can tell when they're kinda' stuck and don't know what else to say. Watching the judges intimidate some lawyers made everything feel really intense!

    I would like to learn more about sentencing.

    ReplyDelete