Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Defense to Negligence

In your own words please explain contributory negligence, voluntary assumption of risk and the limitation of waiver forms.

5 comments:

  1. contributory negligence is a defense against negligence that allows both the defendant and the plaintiff to pay the price regarding the case. In other words, it is a partial defense of which both the defendant and the plaintiff share the blame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voluntary assumption of risk is when one accepts the risks they are about to take in a certain event and accept those risks. They then sign a waiver that agrees that both the one taking the risks agrees to, and the company or party providing the waiver offers a good standard of care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONTRIBUTORY NEGLIGENCE - When both the plantiff and defendant share the blame of the situation because both are at fault.

    For example: I'm in a situation dealing with contributory negligence. I'm the plantiff in court suing the defendant for damages such as injuries but I'm still paying for a certain amount of what is owed because I had a responsibility that could have prevented the defendant to injure me. The amount I'm paying is how much the court believes I am responsible for the problem.

    VOLUNTARY ASSUMPTION OF RISK - There will be nobody to blame or to be at fault because of the plantiff accepting the fact that there is a risk / there will be risks. The plantiff fully agrees to accept any risks.

    LIMITATION OF WAIVER FORMS - When someone is doing voluntary assumption of risk, that person can sign a waiver form. When the form is signed, the person who signed it is completely aware of any risks. Waiver forms do not fully block someone from suing though. A person could sue a company because they lack the standard of care.

    For example: I go bungee jumping and sign a waiver form stating that I know there is a risk of my life. I could get a heart attack or feel sick while the jump is happening but I am taking that risk. I am fully aware of anything like that happening. Although if the employees who tie the cord for me tied it incorrectly and I fall down, I could sue the company because of they lack the standard of care. I should feel completely safe with the cords tied onto me other than the risks above (heart attack, feeling sick.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Contributory negligence puts a stop to negligence in thatwhich you are authorized that both the plaintiff and the defendant are both at fault.
    Voluntary assumption of risk is when the plaintiff put him/herself in harm's way therefore there is no one to blame.
    Limitation of waiver forms is when the defendant does not release a plaintiff from liability due to the plaintiff being engaged in voluntary assumption of risk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Contributory negligence is when the plantiff and defendant both share the fualt.
    Voluntary assuption of risk is if plaintiff agrees to accept ANY risks.
    limitation of waiver forms- If one sign a waiver it doesnt mean you they dont have any liability to you. You can sue them because of the standard of care.

    ReplyDelete